First week of YouthWorks programming in Anchorage....
Yeah.. the first week is over and it went GREAT! At least from my impressions it did... It seemed to go lot better than I expected.
We had 2 groups this past week, and both were awesome! I really enjoyed the high schoolers so much and felt connected to many of them even started the first night they were here!
I'd like to write on and on about my impressions and experiences, but I'm EXHAUSTED! But I'll write out a few things:
The groups again, like I said were great. Both were from Methodist churches, one from MN, one from TN. The adult leaders were also pretty great. Some of the hardest parts of the week were coordinating meal prep, as well as just staying on top of the schedule... The best parts of the week were getting to know so many awesome high schoolers and talk to them, as well as serve alongside them at the different ministry sites we have partnered with here in Anchorage. I didn't get to go to too many this week, but in the future weeks I'll get to go to more. This week, I spent a morning at a park working with Anchorage Park & Rec picking weeds, an afternoon at an organization that works with seniors where we cleaned and washed windows, a day at Salvation Army sorting clothes and getting to know some of the men who are in rehab working there, as well as building a park. Yes, a park! We all volunteered for this organization called "Kaboom" where they build parks in 1 day. It was awesome!!!
I'd say my favorite part of my job is getting to go out to our ministry sites and working alongside the teens. Not only do I get to also serve as a volunteer at those organizations, but I feel the best conversation happens during these times as well. I love it!
Club was fun and high energy each night and it was a great opportunity to try to connect their serving during the day to God's truth and love.
Our theme this summer @ YouthWorks for each week is "Open Your Eyes." Each night during club we have a theme that I end up speaking on, and they are as follows: open your eyes to possibility, beauty, justice, mercy and humility. And God has certainly blown away my expectations in that I've seen that He really did open some of the participants eyes to these last week... This was an amazing blessing to observe this!!
There were a few times this week when I felt I just completely had to depend on God, knowing that He is God and that I am completely in need of everything HE is. I remember just praying and praying that He would be more alive and manifest in me so that I could share His love, and speak His truth. This is my prayer all summer... We all need God so badly... and it's my prayer that I would be more and more like Jesus, and that He would somehow spread His love, truth and joy through me - even though I'm just me and on my own, not that effective at any of this.
I hope you are all well! I miss you all and think of you often! Unfortunately I don't have much time to write/call. This past, we as staff were pretty much "on", that is, working, from 6:30am-11:00pm. Yesterday the students left at 9am, but we ended up working that night until 9pm. Today was a day off and I slept like 12 hours! I ended up getting an air mattress today and I'm so excited to sleep tonight - it will be so comfy! The couch was getting a little uncomfortable.
Ok.. God's love and peace to you all!
Sarah
I will praise the Lord, who counsels me;
even at night my heart instructs me.
I have set the Lord always before me.
Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.
Therefore my heart is glad and my toungue rejoices;
my body also will rest secure.
Psalm 16:8-9


4 Comments:
Give 'em hell! I mean heaven, of course.
Hey Sarah,
I miss you lots. This is quite a busy summer for both of us I think. You are touching a lot of people and I can tell God is doing some great things through you.
Keep up the good work!
Love ya,
-Jalane
I am so glad that you are enjoying the choice you made. I can’t wait to read more as the summer goes. We have now turned your room in to a dance studio. Our brother’s are pretty good at tap dancing. Who would of thunk it?
Look at the news anchor on WCCO. to night is his first night with Amelia Santaniello at 6pm.
http://wcco.com/bios
~Tiffany
Post a Comment
<< Home